Operational Tram List
Please note – trams cars can and do get regularly moved between the display hall and the running shed. Unfortunately members of the public are not able to inspect trams in the running shed due to safety issues.
Click on the tram’s in blue for a photograph of that tram (Will open in a new window)
C 29  Built in 1898 by Hudson Bros. Acquired in 1961.
C 290  Built in 1896 by J. Morrison. Acquired in 1957. Display hall; operational for special events. Oldest operational electric tramcar in Australia.
F 393  Built in 1902 by Clyde Engineering. Acquired in 1957. Display hall; operational for special events. Only F class car remaining, owing to its use as a driver training tram.
J 675  Built in 1904 by Meadowbank Manufacturing Company. Acquired in 1996. Operational in occasional service. Restoration completed in 2009 by Bendigo Tramways. (2016: Currently out of Service.)
N 728  Built in 1906 by Meadowbank Manufacturing Company. Acquired in 1957. Display hall; operational for special events.
O 1111  Built in 1912 by Meadowbank Manufacturing Company. Acquired in 1959. Operational.
P 1497  Built in 1922 by the NSW Department of Transport. Acquired in 1961. Operational.
L/P 154  Built in 1900 by Clyde Engineering as an F class car. Converted in 1910 to an ‘L’ type tram, and again in 1926 as an ‘L/P’ type. Acquired in 1957. Currently representing trams from the Newcastle system. Operational in occasional service.
R 1740  Built in 1933 by Clyde Engineering. Acquired in 1961. Operational in regular service.
R1 1979  Built in 1936 by Clyde Engineering. Acquired in 1974. Operational in regular service.
R1 2001  Built in 1951 by Commonwealth Engineering. Acquired in 2001. (2016: Currently out of service.)
‘Dreadnought’ 180  Built 1924 by T Gardiner and Son. Acquired in 1958. Operational in regular service, mainly during the Summer months.
‘Dropcentre’ 295  Built in 1935 by Brisbane City Council. Acquired in 1968. Operational in regular service.
‘Phoenix’ 548  Built in 1963 by Brisbane City Council after a fire a Paddington tram depot destroyed 65 trams. One of 8 new trams were built using salvaged and spare parts. Acquired in 1974. Operational in regular service.
Note: The Melbourne links go to an external web site – www.vicsig.net , a site with an extensive database of Victorian Railway rolling stock and infrastructure.
W2 249  Built in 1924 by James Moore & Sons for the Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board. Acquired in 1996. Restored for a proposed tourist tramline in Canberra in 2001. Operational in regular service. 
H 358  Built in 1929 by A. Pengelley & Sons. Acquired in 2006. Operational in regular service.
San Francisco PCC 1014  Built in 1948 by St. Louis car co. Sister City gift from San Francisco in 1987. Operational in occasional service
Nagasaki 1054  Built in 1952 by Nigata Iron Works. Operated on Sendai and Nagasaki tramway systems. Acquired in 1992. Operational in occasional service.
Berlin 5133  Built in 1969 by the East German Railways. Acquired in 1996. Operational in occasional service.
42s  Sydney Ballast motor. Built in 1907 by the NSW Government Tramways. Used by the NSW Government Railways as L707 Overhead Line car from 1926 to 1980. Acquired in 1981 and relaunched in 2009. In use as a Works Car.
99u  Sydney Overhead Line Car. Built by Meadowbank Manufacturing Co. in 1913. Acquired in 1959, in use as a Works Car.
134s  Sydney Scrubber Car. Built by Ritchie Bros. in 1899 as a D-type Passenger car. Converted to a Scrubber car in 1930. Scrubber cars use Carborundum blocks to ‘scrub’ the railhead clear of debris. Acquired in 1961. Used in 1997 to ‘scrub’ the tracks around Haymarket for the new Light Rail line. Display hall, operational when required.
141s  Sydney Breakdown car. Built by Meadowbank Manufacturing Co. in 1911 as O 1030, converted to a Breakdown car in 1955. Acquired in 1964, operational in occasional service.
The Museum’s Souvenir Guide contains more information on these trams and on other trams in the Museum’s collection.
This page thanks to Liam Brundle.