** EnthusiastS' CorneR ** EnthusiastS' CorneR **

A technical corner - see what makes the museum run

Tram under pole icon

The Trams of the Sydney Tramway Museum

Enthusiasts Corner home
Safety Management System
Track
Fleet
Overhead
Workshop
Events and hirings
Volunteer with us
A tribute to Norm Chinn
Others
Flash backs
COTMA conference 2014

Operational Tram List

 Please note - trams cars can and do get regularly moved between the display hall and the running shed. Unfortunately members of the public are not able to inspect trams in the running shed due to safety issues.

Click on the tram's in blue for a photograph of that tram and use your 'back' button to return here.

Sydney

C 29 Built in 1898 by Hudson Bros. Acquired in 1961. Undergoing repaint.

C 290 Built in 1896 by J. Morrison. Acquired in 1957. Display hall; operational for special events. Oldest operational electric tramcar in Australia.

F 393 Built in 1902 by Clyde Engineering. Acquired in 1957. Display hall; operational for special events. Only F class car remaining, owing to its use as a driver training tram.

J 675 Built in 1904 by Meadowbank Manufacturing Company. Acquired in 1996. Operational in occasional service. Restoration completed in 2009 by Bendigo Tramways.

N 728 Built in 1906 by Meadowbank Manufacturing Company. Acquired in 1957. Display hall; operational for special events.

O 805 Built in 1909 by Meadowbank Manufacturing Company. On loan from the Powerhouse museum, acquired by PHM 1961. Display hall; operational for special events. (PHM asset record)

O 1111 Built in 1912 by Meadowbank Manufacturing Company. Acquired in 1959. Operational.

P 1497 Built in 1922 by the NSW Department of Transport. Acquired in 1961. Operational.

L/P 154 Built in 1900 by Clyde Engineering as an F class car. Converted in 1910 to an 'L' type tram, and again in 1926 as an 'L/P' type. Acquired in 1957. Currently representing trams from the Newcastle system. Operational in occasional service.

R 1740 Built in 1933 by Clyde Engineering. Acquired in 1961. Operational in regular service.

R1 1979 Built in 1936 by Clyde Engineering. Acquired in 1974. Operational in regular service.

R1 2001 Built in 1951 by Commonwealth Engineering. Acquired in 2001. Operational in regular service.

Brisbane

'Dreadnought' 180 Built in 1951 by Commonwealth Engineering. Acquired in 2001. Operational in regular service, mainly during the Summer months.

'Dropcentre' 295 Built in 1935 by Brisbane City Council. Acquired in 1968. Operational in regular service.

'Phoenix' 548 Built in 1963 by Brisbane City Council after a fire a Paddington tram depot destroyed 65 trams. One of 8 new trams were built using salvaged and spare parts. Acquired in 1974. Operational in regular service.

Melbourne

Note: The Melbourne links go to an external web site - www.vicsig.net, a site with an extensive database of Victorian Railway rolling stock and infrastructure.

W2 249 Built in 1924 by James Moore & Sons for the Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board. Acquired in 1996. Restored for a proposed tourist tramline in Canberra in 2001. Operational in regular service.

Z 111 Built in 1979 by Comeng. Acquired in 2003. Operational in occasional service, mainly during the Winter months.

Bendigo

'Birney' 11 Built in 1924 by J. G. Brill and Company. On loan from Bendigo Tramways, arrived 2003. Operational in occasional service.

Adelaide

H 358 Built in 1929 by A. Pengelley & Sons. Acquired in 2006. Operational in occasional service.

Overseas

San Francisco PCC 1014 Built in 1948 by St. Louis car co. Sister City gift from San Francisco in 1987. Operational in occasional service

Nagasaki 1054 Built in 1952 by Nigata Iron Works. Operated on Sendai and Nagasaki tramway systems. Acquired in 1992. Operational in occasional service.

Berlin 5133 Built in 1969 by the East German Railways. Acquired in 1996. Operational in occasional service.

Works Cars

42s Sydney Ballast motor. Built in 1907 by the NSW Government Tramways. Used by the NSW Government Railways as L707 Overhead Line car from 1926 to 1980. Acquired in 1981 and relaunched in 2009. In use as a Works Car.

99u Sydney Overhead Line Car. Built by Meadowbank Manufacturing Co. in 1913. Acquired in 1959, in use as a Works Car.

134s Sydney Scrubber Car. Built by Ritchie Bros. in 1899 as a D-type Passenger car. Converted to a Scrubber car in 1930. Scrubber cars use Carborundum blocks to 'scrub' the railhead clear of debris. Acquired in 1961. Used in 1997 to 'scrub' the tracks around Haymarket for the new Light Rail line. Display hall, operational when required.

141s Sydney Breakdown car. Built by Meadowbank Manufacturing Co. in 1911 as O 1030, converted to a Breakdown car in 1955. Acquired in 1964, operational in occasional service.

The Museum's Souvenir Guide contains more information on these trams and on other trams in the Museum's collection.


This page thanks to Liam Brundle.

South Pacific Electric Railway Co-operative Society Ltd, Contact us

Google+

This page was last updated on Wednesday, 13-Nov-2013 16:40:20 SGT.