This section of the website is for a ‘behinds the scenes’ look at the work that often goes unseen that make the museum run. There are many small and large projects, often running in parallel that helps keep the museum running. Projects in progress will be more like blogs with regular additions until that mini-project is complete, where the page will then ‘freeze’ and be left as a record of the work undertaken.
This page automatically includes all the subpages from this section of the site and lists the posts in each category in ‘last updated’ order. The latest updates in each area are always listed at the top of that section.
Now onto some content
Five latest updates
Tracks and other infrastructure
- South Hill track relay
- TAFE crossover installation
- TAFE Crossing
- Waratah Loop North
- Scrub cutting along the National Park line (June 30, 2018)
- Rectification of the main gates
- Waratah Loop 2016-2017
- South Shed services installation
- Army Hill
- South Gate track upgrade
- The YMCA building Long term project.
- Waratah Loop Northern Terminus (Completed).
- Tramway Ave Long term project.
- Sutherland Line - TAFE to Waratah Loop In Progress.
- South Shed (Building complete).
- TAFE cutting (Pitt Street) crossover to Pitt St (Completed).
- Railway Square points (Completed).
- Feburary 2012 - TAFE curve western track cut over (Completed).
- Feburary 2011 - Depot Junction (Completed).
- How Sydney points work
- Overhead – Depot Main pole stablisation
- Overhead – Bracket arms moved to new poles – January 2017
- Trolley-bridge for 4 road workshop extension
- National Park line – pole replacements and storm damage repairs
- Sutherland line pole replacements – May 2015
- Pole replacements - August 2014
- Prince's Highway damage (17th January 2014) and repairs
- Overhead - December 2013
- Overhead - March 2013
- Variotram FAQ
- Variotram parts storage – transfer of parts from 2107
- Sydney Variotram 2107 arrives at Loftus
- Arrival of Variotram spares. (Tram to follow)
- Return of Grinder 3
- Bendigo Birney 11
- DRTT Broomwade Air-Compressor No. 38
- Welcome to Melbourne Y1 611
- Delivery of Milan 1692
- Berlin 5133 gets an 'airing' (18th April 2014)
- Repairs to PCC 1014
- P type bogies arrive from New Zealand
- Workshop – May 2018
- Nagasaki 1054 repairs (Completed)
- 42s – motor changeover (Completed)
- Restoration to operating order, Freight Car 24s
- Ballarat 37 – heavy overhaul – Completed
- Reconstruction of C37 for the Christchurch tourist tramway
- Matador and Bus 2619 Complete
- Sydney P1729. Electromechanical fit out. On Hold
- Adelaide H358 truck inspection and repairs Complete - car available for traffic
- Repainting R1740 Returned to traffic.
Events and special hires
- Transport Heritage sector Christmas Party at Loftus
- Sydney Tramway Museum at the 2018 Transport Heritage Expo
- Trams at the Eastershow
- 2017 Transport Heritage Grant recipients announced
- Anniversary of the closure of the Kogarah steam tramway and the opening of the Trolleybus system
- Sydney Tramway Museum at the 2017 Transport Heritage Expo
- Vintage Tramway Festival 2017
- Heritage Express steam train visit, November 2016
- Vintage Tramway Festival 2016
- Photogaphers Evening 2015
- Heritage Express Santa Special to Lofus (29th November 2014)
- Australian Railway Historical Society visit (1st December 2013)
- 1950s day (10th November 2013)
- Breakfast Torque (27th October 2013)
- Channel Seven's Sunrise at the Museum (15th July 2013)
- COTMA Conference 2014
- 'Opening' of the Sutherland Railway substation
- Restoration of the Sutherland railway substation. This isn't an STM project, but the substation is adjacent to our north terminus.
- How Sydney points work
- O1111's centenary
- The arrival of O805
- Volunteer with us
- A tribute to Norm Chinn